It’s mother’s day on May 13th. Every mother loves hanging baskets because they quickly decorate any space and are easy to replace and refresh for a new look that changes with the seasons. Whether your mother likes to build her own hanging basket or receive one of our professionally designed premium baskets, VW Home & Garden has a basket for you!
Here is how you can buy gorgeous, ready-made hanging baskets at the Garden Center or purchase all the items to create one with your mother’s favorite colors.
HOW TO DECORATE WITH A PROFESSIONALLY DESIGNED PREMIUM HANGING FLOWER BASKET:
- Find a space, inside or out, in the sun or shade that needs a dash of color.
- Come down to VW Home & Garden and pick out a hanging basket with colors and flowers your mother loves.
- Ask our knowledgeable staff which flowers want sun or shade, and when and how much you need to feed and water.
- Help your mom hang the basket on a sturdy hook, and voilà your mother has a huge smile for mother’s day!.
- Make sure mom knows that when the top of the soil is dry to the touch, water until it trickles out the drainage holes.
- If the hanging basket is not your mom’s style but she needs something for the front porch or garden we make amazing containers, too.
HOW TO CREATE A HANGING FLOWER BASKET FROM SCRATCH:
- Select a hanging basket or planter that suits your style. We have 12, 16 and 18-inch hanging basket pots available at the garden center.
- Choose a color scheme for your flowers. We have many premium sets for you to choose from.
- Pick 5-10 flowers for your basket. Read the plant tag and avoid flowers that grow taller than 12”. You can combine flowers with foliage or grass that cascades or mounds. Resist the urge to overfill since flowers will continue to grow.
- Fill the basket ¾ full with a potting soil with slow-release fertilizer to your soil. Or add a slow-release fertilizer to the soil you had in last year’s pot.
- Remove the plants from their pots and loosen their roots. Never pull the plant out by the flowers or stems.
- Arrange the plants in the hanging basket or planter.
- Fill in gaps with slow-release fertilizer and moisture-control potting mix and gently tap down. Let the soil settle. Make sure to also feed your basket or planter regularly.
- If you’re using potting mix without added fertilizer, feed with fertilizer. Follow the product directions to know when and how much to use.
- When the top of the soil is dry to the touch, water until it trickles out the drainage holes.
- Our very knowledgeable and creative staff is always available to help you design the perfect basket for MOM!
Don’t have time to water frequently? Use a potting mix with water-holding crystals. We carry Black Gold Moisture Hold Mix! (comparable to Miracle Grow Moisture Mix)
Want a drought-resistant basket? Plant a variety of succulents.
- Hanging basket
- 5-10 plants
- Potting soil with slow-release fertilizer and moisture control
- Watering can or hose
- Optional: Fertilizer
- Optional: Garden gloves
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Ask Jen by submitting your question on the right of this page.
12” HB– $39.99
Fuchsia HB – $39.99
14” HB- $74.99
18” HB- $99.99