We know its been a long year and we are all ready for some holiday cheer!
So, if you are anything like us, you are making grand plans for putting up your Christmas décor after eating loads of turkey and stuffing….or maybe a little before!
Well, we would like to cordially invite you to come down to our greenhouse to pick out the perfect poinsettia. We have a huge selection. VW Home and Garden is known for having the best quality poinsettias in the Pacific Northwest. When you buy a poinsettia from us, we always send you off with a protective sleeve. We also can add a decorative pot cover and glitter for free if you like.
Here are some of the poinsettias you can find out in store this season!
Selecting your Poinsettia
Select plants with large, brightly colored bracts (red, pink, white or bicolor pink and white) that are not wilted, broken, or damaged, and a full complement of rich, dark green leaves. Healthy leaves should be present even at the base of the plant. The true flowers are the yellowish button-like structures in the center of the bracts. Bracts normally do not last for long periods after the true flowers.
If they’re properly cared for, the poinsettias available today will last up to 6 to 8 weeks. These tips for accomplishing that are in line with the best practices recommended by the growers here at Van Wingerden Greenhouses.
Care of Poinsettias
- Place your poinsettias someplace where the temperature is between 60 and 75 degrees.
- Keep them away from drafts from heat vents, doors or windows. Drafts will cause the leaves and flowers to drop.
- Place your poinsettias where they receive bright natural light, but no direct sunlight..
- Check the soil moisture daily and water plants only when the potting medium is DRY.
- Poinsettias are best watered by placing the plant in a saucer or in about a half inch of water in the sink. Watering this way will ensure the plant takes up just what it needs after about 20 minutes